|Club Name||Coolhurst Tennis & Squash Club|
|Club Address||Coolhurst Road – Crouch End – London N8 8EY|
|Tickets||available from club or on link below|
|Years in PSL||4|
|Team Manager||Nick Healy email@example.com 07966 154 358|
|Sponsors||POP – City Athletic – TooTooMoo|
Coolhurst Potted History
1903 Coolhurst founded as Fairfield Tennis Club – with 24 members.
1919 In the post-war era leisure took on greater importance, and hard courts were laid under the aegis of Nuthurst Hard Courts Tennis Club, with Mr R E F Johns, the father in-law of the current President, Mrs Katie Johns, as Secretary.
1920 Five new shale courts were opened for play.
1921 A small private limited company – Nuthurst Proprietary Ltd – was formed to buy the freehold of the land for the princely sum of £900, and £550 was invested in the building of the hard-courts pavilion.
1936 A loan of £1,640 financed the building of two squash courts (1 & 2) – Coolhurst’s squash section was born! With squash players came an application to serve alcohol… and the bar, originally operated on a voluntary basis by members, was opened for evening and weekend service.
1954 Ever looking to build the Coolhurst empire, Nuthurst bought the drive area – now the carpark – for £50.
1956 In the same acquisitive frame of mind, the freehold of the grass courts was secured.
1964 The first tennis balloon in the UK was bought for £4000. With lighting and heating, this allowed play in any weather during the winter.
1971 Squash courts 3 and 4 were built.
1982 New all-weather tennis courts with floodlighting were laid, extending playing time into the autumn and winter evenings.
1986 The current clubhouse was opened on the site of former tennis court 9.
1989 The former clubhouse sited between the pair of squash courts was opened as a fitness studio with a gym.
1990 The area above squash courts 3 and 4 was restructured as a stepped viewing area, with a glass back on court 3 providing a show court facility.
2003 Coolhurst celebrated one hundred years with a black-tie dinner. Previously run as an individual enterprise by two club members, the studio and gym were re-opened as a club facility and provided members with fitness classes, Pilates, treatment rooms and a versatile function room for evening events.
2009 Three new all-weather tennis courts were opened on the area of St Aloysius school’s playing field overlooking the club. Greg Rusedski and local MP Lynne Featherstone got play started on the new courts which marked a new era of the club promoting junior sport and co-operation with local schools. The planning now turns to extending squash facilities…